World’s football governing body, FIFA has dismissed complaints launched by the South African Football Association (SAFA) over Ghana’s November 1-0 win that sealed their qualification to the Qatar 2022 World Cup playoff.
The Bafana Bafana had appealed seeking FIFA’s intervention or even a possible replay, after they claimed Andre Ayew’s match-winning penalty was a plan orchestrated by referee Maguette Ndiaye and Ghana to have South Africa out.
Ndiaye awarded a first half spot-kick after Daniel Amartey went down off what appeared very minimal contact from Reshune de Reuck.
That, along with other refereeing decisions on the day, prompted the South Africans to launch the complaint that has been thrown out, but, failed to satisfy FIFA in their protests.
“The protest lodged by South Africa has been declared inadmissible by the Disciplinary Committee as it did not meet the requirements foreseen under art. 46 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code and art. 14 of the Regulations of the Preliminary Competition of the FIFA World Cup 2022,” FIFA said in a statement on Friday.
This ruling by FIFA means that the Black Stars will have advanced to the playoff stage of Africa’s 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.
Bafana Bafana needed a draw against the West Africans last month to reach the third and final round of African qualifiers.
In the aftermath though, SAFA has confirmed that they are going to seek more action to have the decision reversed.
According to SAFA.net, South African FA CEO, Advocate Tebogo Monthlante said once they get reasons for the outcome, will sit down and weigh its options.
“We have received the decision without details and we will request FIFA for the reasons and consider our options,” Monthlante noted.
It awaits to be seen what the South Africans will take as their next course of action but, about whether any appeals will be considered by FIFA, is another question altogether.