Ajax Queens had a perfect start in the second round of the FUFA Women Elite League with a 2-0 win over Gafford Ladies away from home on Sunday.
Phiona Nabbumba and Maureen Afoyo scored a goal each to help Ajax Queens secure the three points in a game played at Kanyaya playgrounds.
Ajax Queens’ skipper Nabbumba gave the visitors the lead in the 18th minute with a powerful shot inside the box, her effort left Gafford Ladies’ goalkeeper Diana Nantongo with no option.
Gafford Ladies never played to the expectations as they could only manage one shot in the entire first stanza of the game. Ajax Queens made a change in the 70th minute, Nangonzi paved way for Maureen Afoyo. With four minutes left on the clock Afoyo doubled Ajax Queen’s lead.
“Winning 2-0 sounds good, but I wasn’t pleased with the performance of my players,” reckoned Ajax Queens,’ coach Michael Natima.
“We still have a long way to go we lost many points in the first round. This is just the beginning of second round and we going to do our best so that the team win the remaining matches,” he added.
Gafford Ladies goalkeeping coach Kenneth Bagenda took charge of the game as head coach Wabwire Steven is serving a four match ban. Bagenda blamed the result on the shocking departure of captain Shakira Mutiibwa on transfer deadline day.
“We lost the game because we were missing many players on the team. It is bad that our team is still fighting relegation but we are going back to the drawing board to see that we play in the league next season,” Bagenda noted.
- Gafford are seventh in Victoria Group with seven points.
- Ajax go third on the eight team log with four points behind second placed Lady Doves.
- Gafford have not scored a single goal in the last four games of the FUFA Women Elite League.
- Gafford has failed to keep a clean sheet in the last five games conceding nine, scoring just 1.
- Gafford has failed to win a game against Ajax queens since 2015, drawn three and lost three
- Ajax Queens Maureen Afoyo and Phiona Nabbumba have scored three goals each in the last four games against Gafford
- Ajax Queens 2-0 win against Gafford was their second clean sheet in the last five games.