Kawempe Muslim face UCU Lady Cardinals in the FUFA Women Elite League playoffs on Thursday at StarTimes Stadium Lugogo, in a match, the latter will be eyeing a fifth straight final appearance, the Mukono side is targeting their second.
This is the only chance for any of the two teams to at least end the season with silverware as both of them were eliminated from the FUFA Women Cup.
Kawempe Muslim’s regular season ended in a nightmare after they lost three consecutive games for the first time in their history, victory over UCU will be a breath of fresh air.
“We are ready, the coaches have done everything to prepare us so it is up to us to do what we have to do best,” Kawempe Muslim skipper Mariam Nakabugo told www.football-256.com.
“UCU is a strong side much as we have been beating them every time we meet and that’s what we are going to do come Thursday,” she added.
UCU Lady Cardinals are already experiencing their lowest moment in the season following the death of their head coach Peter Ssebulime, this is supposed to act as morale booster for the players though.
UCU and Crested Cranes shot stopper Ruth Aturo, a former player at Kawempe Muslim believes the game will not be an easy one but they will play to win.
“It will not be an easy game for both sides because Kawempe eliminated us in the FUFA Women Cup, so we will have to revenge for the loss because they will be coming all out to win too,” Aturo said.
Asked whether they will want to win this year’s trophy for their late coach Ssebulime, all she said was positive.
“Of course, we would like to win for him, before getting sick he used to talk about winning the trophy and said that again when he was bedridden and winning this will be a plus on this season’s target.”
• Kawempe Muslim is in the FUFA women elite league playoffs for the fifth consecutive time since the debut season in 2015
• UCU Lady Cardinals will be playing in the FUFA Women Elite League playoffs for the third time in five seasons
• Former Kawempe Muslim skipper and this season’s joint top scorer Hasifah Nassuna now playing for UCU will be looking for a 25th goal of the season
• It will the third meeting in the FUFA Women Elite League playoffs- they last met in the 2016/17 finals Kawempe won 4-0
• UCU Lady Cardinals has just managed to win once against Kawempe, that was last year in the Independence Cup, the win came through a penalty shootout after a goalless draw at kazo play grounds