Egyptian football giants Ismaily Sporting Club have been reinstated in the 2018/2019 Total CAF Champions League after appealing the decision of the Organizing Committee for Inter-club Competition and Club Licensing.
According to a CAF letter dated February 10th, Ismaily were disqualified after fans, violence in their match against Club Africain played at the Ismailia Stadium, in Ismailia.
The home fans threw bottles at the assistant referee and the visiting team. The situation got out of control in the 86th minute when a Club Africain player was attempting to take a corner the game was stopped and the continuous efforts to restart it failed.
Africain were leading 2-1 at the time and this promoted the match official to call off the match and on the January 23rd, CAF disqualified Club African from the competition.
The CAF ruling read
- Considering that the provisions of Chapter XII article 3 of the Regulations of the competitions states that: “If the referee is forced to stop the match before the end of the regular time because of invasion of the field or aggression against the visiting team, the host team shall be considered loser and shall be eliminated from the competition, without prejudice to the sanctions existing in the Regulations”.
- Considering that for the provisions of article to be applied, there should be either an invasion of the pitch or aggression against the visiting team;
- Considering that it is established that the field was not invaded;
- Considering that the aggression of the visiting team could not be established by the officials’ reports, the match footage; or by any reported incident;
- Regarding the Decision of the Organizing Committee for Inter-club Competitions and Club Licensing of the Match CL 96 Ismaily (Egypt) vs Club Africain (Tunisia) played in the frame of the Total CAF Champions League CL 2018/2019, the Appeal Board decided as follows:
- The Appeal of the Ismaily Sporting Club is admissible;
- The Appeal of the Ismaily Sporting Club is upheld;
- Ismaily Sporting Club is reintegrated into the Total CAF Champions League CL 2018/2019.
The reintegration of Ismaily into the competition takes TP Mazembe back to six points in Group C having defeated the former 2-0 in Lubumbashi in their opening game of the competition. Algerian side Constantine are the other group members